Are you a tradesperson with experience in plumbing, electrical, construction, maintenance, HVAC, agriculture, cooking, bakery or manufacturing works? The Canada Federal Skilled Trades Program invites tradespersons from across the world to come work and settle in Canada. One of the world’s most developed countries, Canada is facing a shortfall of tradespeople and this is your opportunity. Y-Axis can help you identify your approach to this program and assist you at every step of your application.


Working in Canada has many benefits. Canadian labour laws ensure that workplaces have a high degree of safety and that all employers follow certain laws and regulations to ensure the wellbeing of their employees. As well, Canadian wages are competitive and foreign nationals are required, by law, to be offered wages equivalent to their Canadian counterparts. Finally, some Canadian work permits enable the spouse and children of workers to accompany them to Canada. Another significant benefit for those interested in immigrating to Canada permanently is that by gaining Canadian work experience, a foreign national may increase their eligibility for a number of Canadian permanent residency programs. The following programs award value, in varying degrees, for Canadian work experience:

  • Express Entry

  • Canadian Experience Class (CEC)

  • Federal Skilled Worker (FSW)

  • Provincial Nominee Programs (PNPs)

  • Quebec Immigration Programs

  • Atlantic Immigration Pilot Program


There are many different options for obtaining a Canadian work permit. Some work permits require a job offer from a Canadian employer, some require that the employer provide a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA), while others require that a person has some sort of connection to Canada (previous education, spousal sponsorship, etc.). Please refer to the categories below to determine the work permit which best suits your qualifications:

Requiring a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA)

  • Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP)

  • LMIA Work Permits

  • Facilitated LMIA (Quebec)

  • Global Talent Stream

LMIA-Exempt but requiring a job offer or employment contract

  • International Mobility Program (IMP)

  • LMIA-Exempt Work Permits

  • NAFTA Work Permits

  • CETA Work Permits

  • Intra-Company Transfers

Open Work Permits (no job offers or LMIA required)

  • Post-Graduation Work Permits (PGWP)

  • Spousal Sponsorship from Inside of Canada

  • International Experience Canada (IEC)

  • Bridging Open Work Permit (BOWP)

  • Spouse Accompanying International Student


  • Current passport and travel history

  • Meet the required language levels

  • Must have spent at least 2 out of the past 5 years in your trade

  • Your trade must fall under the National Occupational Classification list

  • Police clearance certificate

  • Other supporting documents

  • While there is no educational requirement having a Canadian education or equivalent foreign credential can improve your Express Entry ranking